Technology is now progressing at such a rapid pace, allowing quicker change and growth, creating an increase in the rate of change until it will eventually become exponential.
What does this mean to you? It means keeping up to date with emerging developments in technology. As a result of the global pandemic, most global IT populations are sitting back, working from home. And if you want to make the most of your time at home, here are some of the top technology trends you should watch in 2021:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning: AI has already earned a lot of hype in the last decade, but it continues to be one of the latest developments in technology due to its remarkable impact on how we live, work and play are only in the early stages. Machine learning AI subset is now being applied in all sorts of sectors, generating massive demand for qualified professionals.
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA): RPA uses software to automate business operations such as processing transactions, dealing with data, and even responding to emails. RPA automates the routine activities people used to do.
- Quantum Computing: This incredible technology trend is a method of computing that takes advantage of quantum phenomena. This technological trend involves the prevention of coronavirus spread and the creation of potential vaccines, thanks to its ability to quickly consult, control, evaluate, and act on data, regardless of source.
- Edge Computing: This technology helps bypass the lag caused by cloud computing and is used to process time-sensitive data in remote areas with minimal or no centralized location access.
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR): VR immerses the user in an environment while AR improves their environment. This technology trend could be used for gaming, entertainment, education, marketing, and medical surgery training.
- Blockchain: Blockchain can be defined as data that you can add, not to delete or modify. It provides protection that is useful in several ways because not altering the previous blocks is what makes it so secure.
- Internet of Things (IoT): IoT is another promising emerging technology trend. The Internet of Things is the future and has already made it possible for smartphones, home appliances, cars, and more to communicate and share data over the Internet.
- 5G: This latest technology trend is projected to be used in factories, HD cameras that help boost protection and traffic management, smart grid control, and smart retail.
- Cyber Security: As long as we have hackers, cybersecurity may remain a fashionable technology, and it will continue to develop to protect against those attackers.
It might seem strange to be making predictions about 2021 when it’s far from certain how the remainder of 2020 is going to play out. No-one foresaw the world-changing events of this year, but one thing is clear; technology has been affected just as much as every other part of our lives.